Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My Cat, Savannah


10/10/12
When my cat first got sick, I thought maybe she had diabetes because she was all about the water. Never did I imagine she was in Kidney Failure or Chronic Kidney Disease which is not unusual for an older cat. Savannah's been in the hospital for 2 nights and they want to keep her tonight. While her blood work was literally off the chart when she 1st went in, she is slowing improving. Her #'s are still high. I asked the Dr. if "sleep" were better or to continue treatment? Without answering, she said neither possibility was out of the question. What do I do?

Still 10/10/12....Several hours later:
Ok..Here's the deal. Its a bit long winded. BUN stands for, Blood, Urine, Nitrogen. The machine at the Vet registers up to 130 and doesn't register beyond that #. When I took Savannah in on Monday, her BUN was 130 or higher. Yesterday it was 121, today its 94. Normal is below 30. The dr. said she is not out of the woods and still very sick. Right now her chances are 50/50 but it sounds like several more days in the hospital to get her BUN to an acceptable level to let her come home and then still she could relapse and end up very sick again or not. I'm going to keep her in the hospital until Friday and we'll have a family meeting to discuss it.

Today~ 10/24/12
On 10/11/12, Savannah came home from the hospital. She was looking good for a few days but on 10/18/12 when I took her in for her re-check she started going down hill again. We tried to give her Subcuetaneous fluid injections but even that wasn't working. Last night, I decided Savannah was reading to go. Ready to go meet, Sophie & Shadow and play in the meadow without a care in the world. She hadn't eaten in 4 days..today was the 5th day. I know she was hungry but she wouldn't have anything to do with food.

This morning, Melissa and I took Savannah into the Dr's office and said our goodbyes. She went very very quick. I remember another Vet once said, the faster the pet goes after the injection just meant they were ready to die. I felt Savannah die even before the dr. was done with the injection. She was so precious. We'll always miss her.

We Love You our little Princess Savannah! XoXo